Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sexy Sin

I was reading an excellent essay today in The Baptist Press about how we in the church should talk to and about homosexuals. You can read the essay here. It was reasonable, kind, all about welcoming the sinner without welcoming the sin. In both tone and love it stood head and shoulders above much of the hate speech I hear from believers disguised as Bible thumping.
Then, as so often happens the writer foundered on an issue that is central to the line of reasoning that gays and believers can't seem to bridge.
Is same sex attraction a choice?
Believers say yes, gays say no we were born this way. I think that the question leads to a couple of other interesting questions.  Is there anything besides it's sinful nature that is preventing you from making love with a member of the same sex? And if sexual orientation is a choice, when exactly did you decide your sexual preferences and what were the reasons for your choice?
For me the answer to question two is simple, I'm heterosexual and I never sat down, weighed the pros and cons, and decided "Hey, I think I'll pass on that gay stuff." I was simply born heterosexual, why wouldn't I think it could happen that way for gays?
As for question one, with all due respect to my gay friends, the idea of having sex with you is about as sexy as getting hit by a truck. Sorry, that's just the way I am. Sin is the very last thing preventing me from having gay sex, I can't think of a less sexy sin.
Obviously I don't think same sex attraction is any more choice than opposite sex attraction, where that leaves the discussion about how the church should deal with gays is best left for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment