Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sending You To Hell


You’re going to hell, followed by some scrap of scripture as authority for the sentence of doom is really popular amongst the bretheren today. And frankly I’m jealous. Having been sentenced to hell with alarming frequency during the recent presidential campaign, apparently opposition to Romney was the kiss of death for millions, I think it would be really fun if I had the “You’re going to hell” power that others so effortlessly wield.

It’s partly my fault. I read Matthew 23:13 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. I assumed it meant that I didn’t have the authority to declare anyone unfit for Heaven. Then Jesus really leads me off the reservation in Luke 6:37 “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.

So I’m going to need help in discarding the words of Jesus if I’m to successfully wield the sword of hell on those who sin differently than I do.

Got any scripture I could borrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment