Tuesday, September 24, 2013

John Doesn't Live There Anymore



Let’s repent together, and stop thinking that God hates us.

Cause honestly, I don’t need any more enemies...~Benjamin L. Corey

I had to stop living there. “There” being that place that insists I have to accept the explanations of creation put forth by writers from a scientifically primitive culture or be branded heretic. That any deviation from scriptural inerrancy is a slippery slope inevitably leading to all scripture is false.

“There” was a place that demanded I believe the wrong sexual orientation threatened the very fabric of marriage, while Christians were getting divorced at the same rate as secular society. A place that had allowed the idolatry of unbridled capitalism and American Exceptionalism to assume a place at the pulpit equal to that of Jesus.

“There” allowed no questions, had no room for dissent, and provided no safe haven for doubters.

“There” was rigid conformity, harsh condemnation of any criticism. If you lived “There” you had to buy the company line hook, line, and sinker. Any deviation was apostasy.

So I had to stop living “There”, and when I moved, I found a place of joy. “Here” I’ve renewed my love affair with the Bible, I no longer have to get into all sorts of weird contortions defending obviously silly pieces of scripture, instead I can say “Yes, that makes me cringe too, but here’s what the Bible is to me. It’s God’s chosen method of reconciling man to God. And a finite text cannot contain an infinite God.” 

So now I’ve got the biggest romance story of the ages back in my life, a book of mystery and unimaginable love.

“Here” I’ve learned to filter all of my faith through the lens of Jesus, and that changed everything for me.

“Here” there is no seemingly schizophrenic God, a God that hates me one moment and loves me the next. “Here” there is only Jesus, a Jesus that gathered ruffians and peasants, doubters and deniers, to Him and used them to change the world.

I like it “Here” a lot. I’ve found a renewed sense of purpose, a faith that doesn’t require me to hate on gays and Muslims, and a reason to hope that Christ will indeed triumph without having to slaughter folks who dress differently, and don’t toe the company line.

Yeah, I like it “Here” a lot. Pull up a chair and let’s visit for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment