Friday, April 8, 2011

Heroes and Morons

I've been privileged and deeply humbled the past few years to become friends with a couple of missionaries to Muslim countries. To answer their call they put their lives on the line and they talk about their challenges like you and I talk about long lines at Wal-Mart. I am not worthy to carry their Bibles.
I mention this because I recently saw a news clip of Terry Jones, Florida's Quran burning moron. He was bragging about all the death threats he's been receiving and during the interview he displayed the gun he carries. I couldn't help reflecting on the profound difference between the heroes of the faith I've met and the deadly child's play of a moron acting out cops and robbers drama from the safety of central Florida while dozens die in the Middle East riots incited by his hatred.
Terry Jones 15 minutes of fame will soon fade, although the grief will linger for years in the families of those slain by thugs and preachers. But the effects produced by my missionary friends, laboring for the Lord in some of the most hostile environments on the planet for Christians, will live on in eternity. Souls are being saved, Christ's love is being delivered to people who desperately need to find rest in the Spirit, and we can all be grateful that in a world full of morons, heroes walk the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment