Sunday, April 10, 2011

PLAYING IN TRAFFIC

On the way to church this morning I witnessed a squirrel have three near death experiences in the space of five seconds. First he ran out in the path of the car ahead of me, as he tumbled out from beneath the rear bumper into the path of my car he leaped up, darted into oncoming traffic, barely avoided getting hit by a third car, and scampered onto the sidewalk and up a tree. It was breathtaking.
I figure there must be some life lessons here, perhaps a metaphor for the miraculous hand of God in our lives, or a melancholy sigh at the seemingly random events that lead to death for some while others escape tragedy. On the other hand it might be as simple as, if you are a squirrel, pick a side of the road and stay there.
Unfortunately for you, I am unwilling to waste a great story on a simple conclusion. I spent twenty one years of my life playing in traffic, getting run over, snapping back from the edge of disaster time and again, only to dart back into traffic at the earliest opportunity. I had plenty of lessons, I just never learned anything. Some folks learn not to play in traffic without having to play in traffic. The school crossing guard tells them it's not safe and they believe him.
It didn't work that way for me. Once the insanity of alcoholism got it's grip on me I was beyond human aid, destined to die drunk unless God intervened. I no longer question why the Good Lord snatched me from the barstool and others were left to die, nor do I question the concept of grace, I'm just grateful I received it.. The thing about grace, is while it's an unmerited gift, it comes with responsibilities.  Jesus has expectations about what we are to do with our lives once saved and we ignore those expectations at great risk, maybe not with our salvation, but risk nonetheless.
So I can learn from that squirrel today, I believe I'll pick the Jesus side of the road and stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment