Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Hearty Attaboy

It would have been well for the church of Christ, if the warnings of the Gospel had been as much studied as its promises.~J.C. Ryle

I don't suspect I'm much different than most folks, I love the teachings in scripture about the love of Christ, His concern for the poor, the hungry, widows and orphans. I long for the fruits of the spirit, a life characterized by love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galations 5:22-24)

This is the God we can all love. But there's another facet to God's personality, a face of God filled with wrath at those that do not follow His will and commands. And it is this God that turns so many against the faith. How can a loving God have a place like Hell reserved for those that do not accept Jesus? Why can't we all just get a hearty attaboy and leave that hell business alone? So they reject Him altogether. I'm not unsympathetic to those who sincerely want the loving God and not the God of divine and eternal punishment, there are passages in scripture that make me cringe too, but I've made my decision. 


My faith is not a spiritual buffet, a take what you like and leave the rest faith. If Jesus lied and there is no hell then why should I believe there's a heaven? There are questions I'll go to my grave with, "God, why'd you do it this way and not another less
troubling way?" But I'm content to wait for the answers. In the meantime, since there is a hell, we better get busy with the Harvest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment