Friday, May 27, 2011

More Heroes and Morons

I have a missionary friend in the Philippines who runs feeding patrols at night for homeless kids living in poverty unimaginable here in sunny SW Florida. He does it quietly, while finding time to feed an intellect that makes me unworthy to carry his books. He doesn't brag or pat himself on the back, he just feeds homeless kids. Packs of media hounds don't pursue him, he doesn't generate millions in donations, it's doubtful he'd know a public relations strategy if he fell face forward into it. But he's one of my heroes and I'm glad to know him. I doubt Randy would think of himself that way, he seems pretty self-effacing. But he feeds a lot of kids and I think Jesus is proud of his efforts for the kingdom.

Which brings me to the morons who get all the press, the Harold Campings, Bishop Longs, Ted Haggards and their ilk. They jet around the country spreading heresy and having sex with boys, all of them claiming persecution by the media they used to get in bed with and basically they give morons a bad name. I don't believe that they speak to a cancer in the Bride of Christ as much as they are just human trainwrecks and it's   so damn hard not to watch.

I guess I shouldn't complain about how things work, that heroes seldom rivet our attention the way a good old-fashioned trainwreck does. I should just be grateful that I know some heroes. By the way, if you'd like to help Randy feed some kids here's his website. http://www.lovingkindnessministries.org  I bet the kids will be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment