Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21

I wasn't going to do it. There has been so much written about history's latest apocalyptic end of world movement that other than a few whimsical posts on my Facebook page I've largely steered clear of it as a topic. It's not complicated, you say "I did some  math." Jesus said "no man knows", end of debate, what's for lunch?
It's really not my cup of tea, obsessing over end of world stuff. Lord knows I have my share of peculiar mental twists, but the world ends at 2PM isn't one of them. Throughout history people have been predicting the end and eventually, in much the way even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, someone's liable to get it right.
And this time I have more in common with the current bunch of end timers than I've had with many of the other groups. I'm an evangelical, I believe Jesus is coming back, and that this earth is going to be destroyed. I just believe scripture not Mr. Camping.
There has always been that group that has the need to know, and someone is gonna fill that need. Nostradamus, Camping, and all the other nutjobs of history are simply fulfilling the needs of a peculiar breed of human, fortunately small in number, that just gotta know and will listen to the weirdest ideas and say, "Yep, makes sense to me." If you're not one of those people don't worry, whatever you had planned for May 22 is still on.

No comments:

Post a Comment