Monday, June 27, 2011

I Get Conflicted

"Ok, I was gonna whack you, but I was real conflicted about it." From the gangster comedy "Analyze This"

In a truly funny scene in the movie Analyze This the gangster De Niro brings Crystal, his therapist,  to the docks to kill him because he's afraid he's said too much during his therapy sessions, this even though he's grown to like Crystal. De Niro's gangster enemies intervene and try to kill De Niro and a gunfight ensues. Crystal saves De Niro, then realizing what nearly happened he confronts De Niro, who admits it, saying "Ok, I was gonna whack you, but I was real conflicted about it."

I get that way a lot, not homicidal, conflicted. I believe the Bible is the total revealed mind of God yet there are passages, particularly in the Old Testament, that just make me cringe. I get a kick out of believers claiming Islam is a violent religion given God's instructions to the Israelites as they enter the promised land to kill every man, woman, and child living there. Can it be true that man coexisted with dinosaurs, as many interpret Genesis, given what we know about the age of the earth?

These conflicts used to drive me nuts and then a man told me "John, Everyone's got a list of questions they want to ask God when they get there." Turns out it's likely that there are still going to be some unresolved questions come the rapture, so why get all exercised?

After all, Jesus did not command me to resolve religious and scientific controversies, he said go help the poor, and witness to the nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment