Monday, June 6, 2011

Like A Moth To Flame

"You never have to advertise a fire."~Leonard Ravenhill
 By now the commentary on Weinergate is reaching a frenzy with congressman Anthony Weiner's admission that he did indeed send lewd photos over Twitter, and that he has conducted erotic electronic correspondence with numerous other women, both before and after his marriage last summer. It has been examined from every possible angle, Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, and religious.  The late night comedians have struck gold.

So there's no need for me to get in the game, before this is over a national forest is going to die in order to provide enough paper to print the reactions, and don't even think about the web pages created in the feeding frenzy. And yet, I fear I can't help myself, I'm drawn to it like a moth to flame. How can a congressman do something so stupid? Will congressman Weiner change his mind, do the right thing by his constituents, and resign?
So here's what I'm thinking about this putrid intrusion on my psyche. When I was drinking I thought that the Ten Commandment types were buzz killers out to ruin my fun, but it turns out that there are hugely practical benefits to moral living.  Don't get me wrong, Paul spoke truth: "The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions  and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." Galatians 5:19-21
But the consequences of immoral living are not solely eternal, there are prices to be paid right here, right now. Weiner will pay, but so will his wife, those who played with him knowing he was married, and finally us. I guess a shower would be good right about now. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment