Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why Paul, Where'd That Come From?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.Galatians 5:22-24

I love this passage in scripture, when I can live this way life is so much more graceful. But Galatians 5 shows Paul in all his magnificent humanity. Just a few verses earlier (vs. 12) he expresses his frustration with Peter and the elders in Jerusalem over the circumcision controversy in a decidedly unfruitful way, by suggesting that the pro-circumcision crowd emasculate themselves.

That's the way my demonstration of faith goes all too often. I'll be sailing peacefully along and suddenly I'm a snarling mess, merrily creating the impression that I'm well short of fruitful living. Which I am. Fortunately with Christ I get an opportunity for forgiveness and a fresh start. If I'm willing to change Jesus forgives and heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment